Thursday, September 08, 2005

 

Double blowout!

Note To Self:

Self, if you brew a 5 gallon batch of beer, and the yeast blows out that single carboy, repitching that yeast cake into 10 gallons will have the same effect or worse - except it is now in 2 big glass jars instead of just 1. Double the yeasties, double the mess!


Man, this Burton Ale yeast is nuts! The kraeusen is so thick, sticky and gummy that overnight it will go from no kraeusen to clogged airlock. Last night before I went to bed, I swirled both carboys so there was nothing, and this morning both were totally clogged with yeast that was blown off. If I were prepared I could have easily vacuumed out the kraeusen / yeast into a sterile container and used it to either culture more or give it away, but alas... I have no such apparatus.

At any rate, depending on how good this beer tastes I will have to remember that WLP023 is a fantastic strain for top-cropping. I can't even imagine how much yeast I'd have if I had sucked all that kraeusen out... alot, for sure.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home